- Don’t second guess yourself, and just say what’s in your heart.
- Offer to listen to them and don't take it personally if they don't talk to you about their feelings at first. Just be patient. They will, when they are ready.
- Spend time with them.
- Make them feel like they matter, and that you are there for them.
- Encourage them to talk about their feelings of sadness, confusion and loss.
- Help them look towards the future in a positive way.
- Try your best to be consistent with your efforts and companionship.
Tell them how brave they are to feel their pain- and that they will be ok!
Photograph of Prince Harry credit- BEN STANSALL / AFP/Getty Images